Saturday, September 24, 2011

Introduction

Hello, I'm Karen, 34, wife, mother of 5 boys, ages 16, 14, 10, 2 and 2 months. I'm a registered nurse in college, 8 months away from graduating with my bachelors. Then I'll be onto my Masters degree. You've reached my weight loss blog. Five kids later, I'm 100 lbs. heavier. I've never been this heavy. It's depressing. I have no clothes that fit and I won't go shopping for any because I don't know how to shop for fat clothes. I don't want to learn either. I need to lose weight for my interview when I apply to grad school. Of course, for health reasons as well. With this last pregnancy I became gestational diabetic and hypertensive. After I delivered the doctor still thought I was diabetic. I proved otherwise. I am, however, still borderline hypertensive. That WILL change. I have a family history of heart disease on both sides. My father passed away from a massive heart attack at 57 with no previous medical problems. I don't want to follow in his shoes. The change starts today. I decided to blog about everything to keep me accountable. I haven't officially started yet and I feel like I'm gonna fall off the wagon. My goal is to not fall off the wagon in the first 3 months, preferably 16 weeks. Weight Watchers says my first goal is 10 %. I'm breastfeeding so my "points" are really high. They say 48 points with this new Points Plus program. I'm thinking thats kinda high but we'll see how it goes. Here is a my official before picture:
I know, gross right? Boy, what a wake up call. Yep, that's a maternity top. I'll post more tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Let's start ith an introduction. I'm Sharon Driscoll. When I gave birth to my second to the last child I weighed - 228. I lost it all and kept it off until third pregnancy - TAH DAH - 228 - again! What is it with that number. It wasn't easy to get it off a second time but I stayed slim and sleek for a long long time. Currently, I struggle but I'm a lot older than you. YES YOU CAN and Weight Watcher's is great. You can contact me any time. sdriscoll@charter.net. I'll help where I can. You can do this - me too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! Thank you so much for that. I really need to hear about people who have done it. It seems so hard. It's nice to hear that it is do-able. Since your struggling, maybe we can conquer this challenge together. I know its going to be a long road and not happen over night and I'll have my mountains to climb but I can do this! Thanks for the support, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it! I lost most of my baby weight after my third, but then gained it back and then some. Besides making changes in my diet and eliminating most flours and pre-processed foods, going for a simple walk every day became my lifesaver. I have a few more to go, but I look and feel so much better and I know that in a year you'll be posting an "I look AWESOME!" photo.

    ReplyDelete